Saturday, 27 October 2012

"All Hallows" Eve- the nitty gritty

There’s a lot of history looming around Halloween, did you know? I'm just the kind of girl who instead of looking up ideas of what I might just dress up as for Halloween, I end up going into the nitty gritty of instead. Such a good history student. I just thought I’d educate you a bit about it, pass on the fruits of my labour. I could do 13 facts, and go along with the age old idea that it is supposedly an unlucky number. Did you know that this superstition goes as far as certain airlines not included row 13 on their planes and it being missed out as a house number on certain streets? Something I learnt from the tv series 'Sherlock' (another reason to watch television).Look at that, another fact and I haven't even begun. Instead I’m going to do 7, because it’s supposedly a lucky number. I disagree.

1.       For starters, I never knew that carved pumpkins are called ‘Jack-O-Lanterns’. They’re traditionally made from turnips, but since pumpkins were cheaper the Americans used pumpkins instead. Turnip farmers weren’t happy to say the least.
 
2.       The tradition of such carved pumpkins comes from the tale where Jack tricked Devil into paying his drink, so the Devil gave Jack a hellish ember, but Jack placed it into a turnip, which he carved and carried with him so as to scare away any other hellish encounters.
 
3.       The character of Frankenstein typical of horror movies and of costume is inaccurate. Frankenstein created the monster, and the monster actually never was given a name. That green thing with a bolt through its head? He’s called ‘Frankenstein’s monster’.
 
4.       Halloween cakes used to be made with a thimble inside. The person who had the thimble inside was supposedly meant to be unlucky in love for the next year.
 
5.       Ireland is believed to be the birthplace of Halloween.
 
6.       Scottish girls believed that if they hung wet sheets in front of the fire on Halloween they would be able to see the image of their future husband. Others believed they would see their boyfriend’s faces if they looked into mirrors while walking down the stairs at midnight.
 
7.       Houdini was one of the most famous magicians who even lived. He did as a result of appendicitis brought by three stomach punches in 1926, on the night of Halloween.

P.S. The biggest danger on Halloween night was supposedly the old wives tale of razors in sweets or apples. I'm ever so glad I wasn't told this as a child, or I would never touch candy ever again. Then again, it would have been a good excuse to not eat apples too. You win some, you lose some. Anyway, in reality the biggest danger is alcohol poisoning, so please as much fun as you’re having, remember that. Now, I’m going to stop being your mother.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Cute blog! I just followed.
These are some interesting halloween facts.

Follow back?
notanobession.blogspot.com

Elrese Voges said...

Ahhh really enjoyed these facts :) wonder if I would've seen my hubby's face in the sheets LoL. Loved these thank you! xx

www.dressedinthecity.com

Vanessa said...

Great post! I always find things like this so interesting, I can safely say I didn't know many of these little facts. I laughed at the thought of carving out a turnip :) xx

P.s thank you for the lovely comment on my blog :)

WishesOfACrazyGirl said...

Little children be afraid of the biggest threat on you're life this Halloween ...............
Alchol poisoning

I just cracked up at that. I now need to go out and bye some turnips

Post a Comment