Tuesday, 2 October 2012

PDA

Public Displays of Affectio- PDA. Most of us are aware of what this phrase means and some of us have a major issue with how much of a display it can be and become. I know some of my own friends have a major issue with couples pulling or even having their arms around each other. I know that might seem ridiculous but it’s true.  We all have seen people lip locking somewhere along the street (if you haven’t, you’ve evidently been observing the cracks in the pavement too much.)
One time comes to mind particularly. I was on holiday with Mini and her family summer and on one day we thought it would be nice to sit in the conservatory to talk. However the conservatory looks out onto the road.  As I was talking to Mini and her brother I saw these 21-ish year old couple having a full on make out session right in front of the house; may I just also say we had just had lunch.  It was not a pleasant sight in my view. I’m sure that the couple were having a jolly good time but I didn’t like it at all. It was completely unnecessary to do that in front of a house, that people live in!
This also brings me to a point of not just PDA In public but also in the work place or at school. Now since I have boys in my class and a couple in the sixth form I have suddenly been more aware of how people act around the opposite sex, especially when they are dating. When dating someone you can come in together and hug of course and do couplely things together. To some extent. Here are just some of my rules.
1.    Lips coming into contact should only really happen when saying goodbye to each other and this should also just be kept to a peck. Nothing more.
2.    Hugging. You can hug as much as you want but not as long as you want. A normal hug last about three Mississippi’s. (If you don’t believe me, watch the Big Bang Theory.) If it’s any longer people would just stare at you thinking ‘what on earth are you doing?’
3.    Sitting on your boyfriend or girlfriends lap is pretty much ok as friends do it all the time, but when it comes to putting your arms around them while sitting on their lap that is a big fat NO. Well, in my mind anyway.
4.    There is also the side by side sitting. I know it may sound tedious but even sitting wrong in this way can cause people to be uncomfortable.  I know people like to have their arms around each other and I am totally fine with that but when the hand passes the shoulder that’s when we have problems. So this is especially for the boys. Hands stay on the shoulder, not on the boob.
I know many of you may think I am just a stingy girl who is just jealous of people because they are in a relationship and happy. That is your opinion and you have every right to it but just remember when you’re in a group of people how you act with your boyfriend or girlfriend.  Not everyone is as open to PDA as others. You don’t want to be the one to be making things uncomfortable. Plus the singletons the may not appreciate the fact you are reminding them just how single they are.

Written by Genie

No comments:

Post a Comment