Thursday, 18 October 2012

Skyfall

Being British, Bond and the music that comes with it, it's simply part of my heritage. My mother referred to me as Jaws (the Bond villain with the metal teeth in "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "Moonraker") when I got braces aged 11 and I remember playing "Goldfinger" and "Diamonds are Forever" as second flute in a school band aged 9. Admittedly I was terrible, but the music for the Bond films has always attempted to surpass anything else. The main word being attempted. They gather together some of the worlds best artists and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

With the 50th anniversary of Dr. No just passing, the theme song for the newest film, Skyfall, was released. Sung by the one and only Adele, who admitted to singing it only so she could tell her children that she was a Bond girl, the song headed straight to number 1.

I'm not sure quite what I was expecting for this song. I hoped and prayed it was better than the offering from Alicia Keys and Jack White which went with Quantum of Solace, which some people enjoyed but I couldn't stand. Thankfully my prayers were answered. It's a good song, not one of Adele's best but I guess it's hard to write a stunning song around a film that you haven't a clue what's happening in it seeing as its not from the books. It involves much of the characteristic Bond music sequences (I'm singing along, "Da DAAAAH Duuuuur!" instead of the actual lyrics) and Adele's voice takes me right back to the signature Bond themes that everyone remembers.

There's a certain knack with Bond. The listener has to be shaken enough to get up and go see the film after listening to the track and Adele has done this. I'd say this song is in my Top 5 Bond Songs, along with:
1. Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey ("Goldfinger " 1964)
2. We have all the time in the world - Louis Armstrong ("On Her Majesty's Secret Service" 1969)
3. Diamonds are Forever - Shirley Bassey ("Diamonds Are Forever" 1971)
4. Skyfall - Adele ("Skyfall" 2012)
5. James Bond Theme - John Barry & Orchestra ("Dr. No" 1962)

I guess for me, Shirley Bassey will always be the voice of the Bond films. Both songs are iconic and from eras where the music was so powerful and beautiful that creating a song that stood out amongst them must have been very difficult. For the song to also stand the test of time is a near miracle and Shirley Bassey's music sounds just as good today as it did almost 50 years ago. Only time will tell I'd Adele's "Skyfall" does as well.
That isn't to say this song isn't absolutely suberb.
Let's put it this way. If the song was that good, I can't wait to see the film.

4 comments:

♡L. said...

I am SO excited for Skyfall!! Love this post x

Isabella Speight said...

I love this post and your blog! So sophisticated and beautiful!

xxxx

bellas-wardrobe.blogspot.com

Mini Thoumine said...

I'm glad! I'm ├╝ber excited about the fil and fingers crossed its good! X

Mini Thoumine said...

Aww, thank you my darling! I'm glad you enjoy, if so all our hard work is paying off! X

Post a Comment