Thursday, 22 November 2012

California 37

This is a reasonably old album I guess. It was released earlier on this year but I never got round to buying it ("tut tut") until the other day I went shopping and it was 2 for £10 on CDs. Now, I love Train. My ringtone on my phone (where else would it be...) is "Hey Soul Sister" and I always attempt to answer it before it stops "Hey"-ing at me- which is always entertaining. So by buying this album, I was returning to an old friend and I knew whatever came up I would be comfortable and I wouldn't be disappointed. How true that was.

 
PRESS PLAY:

Oh gawd, there are so many! This disc is chockablock with good songs. I love '50 Ways To Say Goodbye' which is bad because it’s a song about making up excuses about your girlfriend dying rather than saying that she dumped you. The first time I listened to it all the way through I was crying with laughter. Which I guess is quite harsh considering one line is she "drown[ed] in a hot tub". However I do have to agree with my momma for this one so... The mother/daughter combo suggests the song you should listen to is... 'Bruises'. This song is so cute and it features Ashley Monroe (she sounds a bit like Taylor Swift before she became pop instead of country) who has the most stunning voice ever. Now I'm not a big one for country music but this is beautifully put together and sounds so good that you can't help but replay it over and over and over whilst singing along at the top of your lungs.

 
SKIP SONG:

Now, I enjoyed all the songs on this album immensely so it was very difficult to pick the song that I would skip. I settled on 'Sing Together' which is track 7. The lyrics are beautifully crafted, like many of the other songs but I feel there isn't much else. Yes, the words being sung are meaningful, I should be listening to them but I feel myself wanting something more. Just a little bit more. I feel this song could have benefitted from a little more attention and then maybe it would have stunned my socks off just as much as the other tracks.

 
ALBUM ART:

I do like the album art. It fits very well with the music; it's very laid back with lots of blurred and merged photos. The colours are bright and clear, almost giving you a taste of the crisp strong vocals of the disc. The font is small and simple meaning you can see it ever so clearly. Train have used this to their full advantage, almost forcing the listener to sing along to their music. The colours are very muted which would normally be a problem for me but it fits well with the style of music and the soft, tinted pictures fit perfectly with my idea of what a country music album should look like. The artwork stays true to its roots, very much like the music and it makes you feel comfortable to sing along in the presence of some great music.
 
Overall, I'd say this was a great album to buy. If you’re a country music lover through and through or you've got as far as Taylor Swift and wanted to try something else, this album has something for everyone. It's a sing a long and feel good album with some touching moments and some stories along the way. And at £7 (or part of the 2 for £10 offer) in HMV there's really no excuse not to purchase this album. As it says in track 9. "I was looking for some heaven, there's no need to look no more. California 37, took me right to heaven’s door."

1 comment:

The Party Chief. said...

I must check this out, good to here a really specific review. Maybe check out my blog? I am an artist, so you may not be as impressed with my writing!
xxx
http://thepartychief.blogspot.co.uk/

Post a Comment