Saturday, 3 November 2012

It's time to dye

In my ‘Autumn Cut’ I spoke about how now is the time for having a new hair colour (preferably darker) and that is exactly what I have done. I have gotten ridden of my brown curly locks and replaced them for a deep red.  It was a rather impulsive decision if I'm going to be entirely honest. My boarding school friends and I were in the Superdrug in town (who have really cool loyalty cards) where they could not get me away from the hair dye aisle.  After about 20 minutes of me deliberating if I should buy the dye or not the girls picked the dye off the shelf and brought me to the counter to pay for it.
I was so hyper once we got back to school about dying my hair that I had forgotten to ask my mummy and daddy’s permission if I could actually dye it. Once I got on the phone and explained to my parents that I wanted to dye my hair and that I had bought the dye there were a bit like “Well you’ve already bought it why on earth are you asking us for?”  Then my friends and I got down to business.  This was my first time dyeing my hair without someone who actually knew what they were doing but it worked out perfectly fine. As I was freaking out about how it was going to look terrible I thought how useful it would be to have some top tips on how to dye your hair. So here are mine;
1.       I do not advise a drastic change  - I know the whole point in dyeing your hair is so you have a new look and different hair colour but you don’t want it to look so unnatural that people will be like “What is she thinking.” I am hinting at us brunettes wanting to go blonde. Just be careful. Dye your hair in stages so you won’t go that strange ginger colour.
2.       Are you sure – Make sure you are 100 per cent certain you want to dye your hair. If you are still uncertain you can use websites online to see what you would look like with different coloured hair. They are pretty good and will help you choose your right colour.
3.       Old clothes – Home dyeing can get messy. Especially if it’s the first time you are doing it by yourself so make sure you are wearing and old t-shirt that you don’t mind getting dye all over. It would be a good idea to have an old towel to put over your shoulders so the dye wont drip especially if you have long hair
4.       Roots – First of all start with your roots. This is the most important part of the whole dyeing process. I would advise to start at the front then around the sides of your head before you do the back. Also get a friend to do it for you.  As amazing as you might be at other things. I cannot possibly see how on earth you will be able to dye your hair by yourself.  (If you have please tell me how I will send you chocolate or something just as rewarding.)
5.       The rest of the hair – Once you have done all your roots, including the ones in the middle of your head now you do the rest of your hair. There is not set way of doing this. You just have to make sure that all your hair is covered. You can blob it in your hand and rub it in like shampoo.
My five top tips for dying your hair. I love my new hair colour even thought I do still get shocked when I look at myself in the mirror and the best part of dyeing it was I got to have a real laugh with my new friends. There is nothing that says boarding school than having a makeover- for me anyway.

4 comments:

Martha Woods said...

Sounds like you're having fun with your new color! It's always fun to make a change! :)

Sharina said...

Love the process photos!! ♥

NEW FOLLOWER HERE!

♥,
Shari
The Misty Mom

Genie Nikaj said...

Glad you liked them. It was a fun night.

Alicia Kay @ alisvolatpropriisx.blogspot.com said...

Actually you typically want to start dyeing your ends first as the heat from your scalp can over-process your roots giving you uneven color. Your roots and new growth will take on color the fastest and needs less time than your ends.

I always dye my hair myself. Just part your hair and section it out and start with one section at a time. When you get to the back, I just flip my head upside down and slowly add the color to the base and then upwards. I just goop it on like shampoo/conditioner and tie it with a pony on the top of my head and all is well :)Make sure you use a formula that is "cream" vs. liquid, therefore it's thicker and less messy. Good luck!

http://alisvolatpropriisx.blogspot.com

Post a Comment