Thursday, 3 January 2013

Ginger cake with orange butter icing

 
So I had a Christmas party last week and I asked Mini to make a fabulous dessert for it. So our Mins got her thinking cap on and decided to make one of her favourite Hummingbird bakery cupcakes into a massive cake. And I believe it worked fabulously well. The tasty ginger worked well with the slight tang of the orange buttercream, and as I asked my friend ever so nicely she has allowed me to have the recipe and I am now sharing it with you, because I'm nice like that. So I hope you had a very merry Christmas and enjoy this fabulous cake.

 
INGREDIENTS:

·         140g un-salted butter
·         200g caster sugar
·         60g black treacle
·         60g golden syrup
·         2 eggs
·         2 egg yolks
·         310g plain flour
·         1 tbsp cocoa powder
·         1 tsp cinnamon
·         1 tsp ground ginger
·         1 tsp nutmeg
·         2 tsp baking powder
·         1 tsp salt
·         240ml hot milk


FOR THE ICING:

·         140g butter
·         280g icing sugar
·         1-2 drops of orange essence (or a glug of orange juice)
 

METHOD:

1.       Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/190°C and grease and line two cake tins.
2.       Using an electric mixer cream together the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
3.       Add the treacle, syrup, eggs and egg yolks to the creamed mixture and whisk.
4.       Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, baking powder and salt together.
5.       Now add the dry ingredients a little bit at the time alternating with the hot milk and dry ingredients each time and mixing with a metal spoon in between.
6.       Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and put in the oven for 25-30mins.
7.       Take the cakes out of the tin after they have cooled for a bit and let it fully cool on a cooling rack.


FOR THE ICING:

1.       Mash together 140g butter and 280g icing sugar with a fork and add a drop or two of orange flavouring to make the butter icing orange-y.
2.       Now after the cakes have fully cooled, spread half the butter icing on the top of one cake and place the other cake on top of that.
3.       Now spread the rest of the butter icing over the top of the cake and sprinkle over some cocoa powder or cinnamon, depending on your taste.

1 comment:

Ln said...

Great idea, I'm gonna try this!
Love this post and your blog! I'm following you now!

Would you like to follow me back?

Check out my blog The Closet I Love!

Post a Comment