Thursday, 10 January 2013

Pitch Perfect- the movie and soundtrack



At Christmas time the biggest movies of the year are normally released. This year is no different. The Hobbit has been released, for those of you who have been living under a rock. ‘Pitch perfect’ is one of the Christmas movies. I went to watch it as a sister time bonding kind of thing as my sister and I both wanted to see it, and I fell in love with it.

I shan’t spoil the plot for you, merely give you a small summary. Beca wants to be a DJ but her father forces her to get that ‘necessary’ college education. She doesn't seem to fit into any clique and works on the campus radio station with Jessie- a boy she just keeps running into. Joining the all girl a cappella group, the Bella's, she finds that her laptop isn't the only thing that can create brilliant mash ups.

I could not stop laughing at this movie. There are moments which are both equally cringey and hilarious. It’s like glee and bridesmaids put together in a movie. It’s brilliant. One more thing that made this movie amazing was the music. I am a huge, and when I say huge I mean like the fattest man on earth huge, fan of a cappella music and all the songs are sung a cappella so it was my dream come true. I bought the soundtrack straight away- it was that good.

PRESS PLAY:

Cups. This is my favourite song in the whole album and I can't stop playing it. The song is done so beautifully in the movie. I don’t want to ruin it for you but it's sung by Anna Kendrick and I couldn't help but fall in love with it. The lyrics are quirky and country - another style I love- and all in all it’s a beautiful song. The most brilliant thing is that she plays the percussion with a cup. I am spending the rest of my holiday learning how you play it.

SKIP TRACK:

Whip It. Now I have to say that I was very impressed that the guy singers could hit the beginning notes but there is still something not quite right when a 20 year old man makes a noise that only dogs can hear. I just couldn't get into the song and enjoy it. The beginning just put me off completely and no matter what the rest of the song was like it could not redeem itself in my opinion.

ALBUM ART:

Now this is not the best Album Art in the world. It’s half tacky and half unrelated. The "cool" look was not what the Bella's were about- they were about tradition. I guess it is trying to show how the girls were going to revolutionise the a cappella world. The main issue I had with it was the fact I couldn't actually tell witch girl was which. They changed the lighting of the picture so much that all the hair colours were messed up. It really upset me. Petty, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment