Thursday, 7 February 2013

(52 books: week 4) Dystopian reads #2

'Prized' by Caragh O'Brien + 'The Republic of Trees' by Sam Taylor

First of all, I must apologise (Belle, that is) for not posting this when it should have been posted, but I swamped with so much coursework, and homework, and other general troubles, that I just forgot. So sorry! We're back on dystopian books again!

ZEE’S WEEK 4 READ: PRIZED BY CARAGH O'BRIEN (BUY IT NOW)

I'm seeing a theme running through the books I'm reading at the minute. Stories set in dystopian futures fascinate me; they all have different rules and ways of life that I wonder if their authors have any ideas left! 

Now Gaia has escaped The Enclave she must save herself and her new sister. She is saved by 'Sylum' the town that is having similar gene pool difficulties as the Enclave. Here the women are leaders, even though a baby girl hasn't been born for 10 years! People are grumbling, and as Gaia pulls out all the stops with her midwifery skills, it's still not enough for some. After she commits the heinous crime of kissing a boy she knows things must change for the better, even if she could die in the process.

Prized is the second in the Birthmarked Trilogy, sorry about that. I read Birthmarked in the summer and absolutely loved it. The story of Gaia Stone and 'The Enclave' gripped me and I was so sad when I couldn't find any news on a second book. Wandering round the library I was astonished to see this and couldn't wait to read it! I did enjoy the book, however, I felt it was lacking some of the passion from the first novel. The character of Gaia changes so much throughout the book that I had to remind myself what book I was reading... Okay, maybe not that extreme, but you get my drift. Also this book is definitely written as if the reader has read the first book. Not only will you be able to understand what is going on, but, the first book in a series is always the best anyway! 

RATING: 3½/5
SIMILAR READS:
'Birthmarked' by Caragh O'Brien- buy it here.

BELLE'S WEEK 4 READ: THE REPUBLIC OF TREES BY SAM TAYLOR (BUY IT NOW)

It's a strange book, I'll tell you that. It's half enchanting, half entirely disconcerting. From the mere blurb, it seems like a simple and childlike book, and to be truthful, it sort of is. There's a horrific turn of events, and that's what makes it so, well, sort of, chilling. It captures the naivety of children's minds. When I say children, I mean more teenagers. He just sounds so much like a child, it almost killed me. It captures the innocence of his mind, next to his growing sexuality. They're not so innocent as they seem. We can be twisted and spoiled so easily by one's own ignorance. 

I loved how their dreamlike fantasy turned into a nightmarish end- a somewhat disturbing end at that. Although, I do have to say, I didn't enjoy it as much the second time I read it. However, I seriously took to it the first time and still seemed devour it whole too on this occasion. I just didn't seem to connect to it, not after the reads I've read since.

RATING: 3/5
SIMILAR READS:
'The Lord of the Flies' by William Golding- buy it here.

1 comment:

Martha Woods said...

I love dystopian novels, so I will have to check out your picks :)

Post a Comment