Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Review: The Great Gatsby (2013 film)

Nick Carraway, in a sanatorium for his alcoholism, starts to write down his memoirs of meeting ‘the most hopeful man he’s ever met’, Jay Gatsby. Introduced to the world of 1922 New York by a fellow Yale student, Tom Buchanan, who also happens to be the wife of Nick’s cousin Daisy. Daisy also happens to be the lost love of Gatsby whom he still loves, through Nick, he aims to reconnect with her.

Obviously I am not going to reveal the ending to you, because who likes spoilers? Going in to watch this movie I knew absolutely nothing about the story, and had only heard that the film had not received good reviews. Does that ever stop anyone going to see films? I think not.

Having watched Graham Norton’s interview with Baz Luhrmann, the director, not only did I find out that he directed Moulin Rouge, which is a marvelous film (but a little bit of a weird one, if you don’t mind me saying so). To be honest, when I go and watch a film I often end up looking at the costumes, the scenery and the camera shots. It that a bit weird? Most likely. I commented to my friend a number of times throughout the film that some of the camera shots were strangely interesting. They followed Nick’s eyes and saw what he saw as if the watcher was taking in all the information just as Nick was. The way the film was shot was just incredibly appealing to me and maybe, just maybe that’s why I liked it so much as I wasn’t concentrating on the story…

I must mention, finally, the soundtrack to this movie set in the 1920s. You wouldn’t think that Jay-Z, Lana Del Ray, Fergie and Gotye (just to name a few) would work, but it sort of does. It blended with the sequences being shown on screen and having listened to many of the songs individually since watching the film I would say that they are all extremely good songs and will make great singles tracks for years to come.

Overall, I did really enjoy this film but, I think if anyone knows the book inside out and loves it then I think the film may have butchered it slightly, but having not read the book yet, I can be happily unaware of that now.

1 comment:

dtmmr.com said...

Solid review Zee. It’s one of those instances when style overcomes substance. Just a shame that it had to be this adaptation too.

Post a Comment